posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
JR North JR North is offline

Default Soundproofing/Waterproofing a Honda Genny

The genny is gonna overheat big time in that insulated enclosure.It's
not just the engine and exhaust. The alternator and inverter board also
generate heat when loaded. Suggest 2 4" 12V muffin fans, located 1 at
either end, one blowing in, and the other blowing out, for air flow.
These can be inset in the case, with an eave of fiberglass over them on
the outside to protect from rain. Connect the fans to the 12V sockets on
the genny, so they run when the gen is started. Hard to tell from the
pics, but it looks like you can relieve the inside of the lid more and
close it completely.This would be desirable with the fan setup.
JR

dene wrote:
A couple of months ago, somebody in a boating forum described using a
modified cooler to house a honda 2000 genny. I passed on those posts to
my talented stepson and today we came up with a proto-type, that he may
eventually market for roughly $150 on E-bay. This is the first one with
more improvements envisioned before it goes to market. This cooler is a
Coleman 5 day, 100 qt. we got on sale at Walmart for $35. Only problem
with it is that it's not high enough, forcing us to cut a hole into the
top of the door.

Here are some pictures with comments in the captions. Please share all
opinions.

http://tinyurl.com/2kqwjd

Outlay was as follows....

$35 cooler
$10 ventilation pipe/exhaust
$30 padded cooler cover

Plus an hour or two of labor.

Results....this modified cooler cut down the sound about a third. Most
of the remaining noise comes from the exhaust. Also pertinant, the
gen-box looks good on the back of my upper swim platform and it
provides waterproofing for the genny, which will allow me to use it in
the rain. (We get a little here).

Again....don't hesitate to be critical and/or creative.

Thanks!

-Greg Schoenberg
"She Said Yes"
2002 Regal 2465