posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default motor w/alternator vs. generator with charger vs.?

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in
:

Larry makes a good point.

What outboard do you have? Maybe an alternator can be added to it.

At the moment i've got a honda 2HP 4 stoke. I'd hate to fit an
alternator to it for double the weight and half the power ;-) Ive
been looking over the last 3 months for a second hand Honda 9.9
4stroke high thrust, preferably one only a couple of years old. Honda
dealers in sydney are trying to sell these new with all the forward
controls and without a tiller for AU$3,300. Id be pretty happy to get
one a couple of years old in the plain vanilla tiller control which
has an electric start and an alternator for maybe AU$1500. Then i
would have a bit of power and i can use the 2 pony on my dinghy, and
as a backup motor.

Shaun

If I lived in Oz, I'd probably get:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~minards/ymde_out.html
and just change the boat it was attached to every few years.

The Americans ruined the diesel outboards, here, by pricing them so high
even the rich people refused to buy them. They don't even offer them,
now. I can understand why a dealer wouldn't want you to have one that
didn't require constant replacement and maintenance, like the crap they
sell here.

"Twin Yanmar diesel outboards powered a seacrafi for the first time
across the Pacific from San Francisco to Hawaii; a record 2250 miles of
non-stop running using only 385 gallons of fuel."

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip