posted to rec.boats.building
NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default King Starboard for backing plate material .. under stanchion bases question

If I use a solid block ,, such as a piece of teak or some such .. maybe
marine ply ...

Would this material hole up ok?

One place said to take a piece of marine ply and smear epoxy all over it.
Then drill holes and then epoxy the holes ..

I should think that epoxy would seal the ply .. ???

=========

A couple of postings warned against aluminum due to different metals
problem.

If I reuse the piece of fiberglass which is under now,, add an epoxy'ed
piece of marine ply ..

That should do it ,, I would think.

On deck,, under the existing stanchion bases .. I may put another piece of
stainless steel. A little larger than the existing stanchion base.

This seems like a good idea if I have the room.

=================================
"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:36:16 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

Cave .. Sheep .. I did a search on the net. Cruising World had an old
article that popped up. Said to use Aluminum, Stainless or Marine Ply.

Casey ,, said to use solid block.

If you use aluminum in a marine environment, it must be 5454, 5083, or
5086-H34 alloy.

CWM

===
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
hlink.net...
NE Sailboat wrote:
Planning for spring. I will rebed my stanchion bases. Under the deck,
the backing is a thin piece of fiberglass. I would like to give the
bases a bit more support. I came across the material Starboard.

It says that I can cut it just like wood, but that it does not rot.
What
about compression?

Could I use some small pieces of this as backing plate material for my
stanchion bases?
It would have to be bolted.
(even epoxy wouldn't stick very well)

I'm doing the same thing for two of my stanchions.

But I'm planning to use either plywood or a hard wood block
glassed into the under deck.