Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Boat for single hander

NE Sailboat wrote:

I sail single handed ,,,,,,,,, it is really really hard.

Really? I find single handing my boat of the same size actually easier,
despite "Strider" being much quicker turning on the helm than your Bristol
32. I don't have to explain things, there's no one in the way when I need
to reach a sheet quickly, nobody ever says, "What?" with that deer in the
headlights look when something needs to be done quickly. It's very relaxing
but I do get bored with the conversation in moderate weather.

Single handing in strong winds is very rewarding. There's enough excitement
that I don't miss the conversation and it's excellent practice and
confidence building for the times you are responsible for other people.
Figuring out how to handle jib sheets and a boat without self tailing
winches and with a helm you can only let go of for seconds is great mental
exercise.

Having a good trained crew than can do everything is easiest, of course.
Being away from the sailing world for several years, I don't know a lot of
people like that and I tend also to take non-sailors because I enjoy
introducing people to the experience. My new crew was getting quite
competent towards the last couple days of the cruise this summer and it was
very enjoyable to just sit there and watch an eager and energetic person "do
this - do that". We're planning a lot more sailing next summer and I don't
think single handing will ever have quite the appeal it did before.

--
Roger Long