Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default hunter 34... broker

Each time, before the trial the
broker insisted on having a deposit to show my good intend.
I soon learned that the Sea Trial approach was a broker's tactic to
secure a
deposit.

I have sold quite a few boats and co-brokered some others. This is how
it generally works.

1) Look over the boat and decide if she's for you.
2) Make an offer, which is PENDING SURVEY and SEA TRIAL
3) Give a deposit. It costs money to do a sea trial. Often the boat is
on the hard. They are not going to launch and take you for a sail if
you're not serious about buying; hence the deposit. Either the
yard/service dept. will pay or the owner. Sometimes the expense is
shared. A licensed captain is often used for the sea trial at major
brokers.
4) If problems are found during survey or sea trail you may attempt to
re-negotiate the price or just walk away. I've never seen a broker not
return the deposit promptly. If all is in order you're expected to
follow through, but some folks still walk due to cold feet, another
boat or financial issues.
5) We won't arrange anything on some of our larger boats unless we know
you have the means to buy the boat.

A good broker wants you back when you decide to move up to a larger
yacht.

Robert
35s5
NY