James James is offline

Default Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch

Steve wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:51:15 -0700, "Gordon"
wrote:

Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Having had an Irwin 37 CC and knowing a lot of other Irwin owners, I
can tell you that your question is a hard one to answer without
looking at that specific boat. The overall build quality of Irwins
varies greatly, more than most other boat brands. That's because they
didn't have very consistent (more like non-existent) quality control
(someone specificially designated to oversee the builders and make
sure they're being put together right) but they sometimes had good
people building them and sometimes not. So you might get a great boat
and you might get a dud. Fortunately I had one of the great ones. It
was very solidly built and after 25 years of some pretty hard sailing
had no major problems ... far less than many other 25 year old boats
I've seen even from some boutique brands.

No sense telling you about the specific characteristics of the 37
since the 42 is a different boat.

So my recommendation is to get it surveyed by a good suveyor and if it
comes out fairly clean (almost no older boat will come out perfect) go
for it. You'll be getting a lot of boat for the money. Irwins are
known for being good values, if you get a good one. Kind of like the
Chevy Bel Aire of sailboats.

Steve

You might post your question he

They should be able to help you out.