posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Sloco slower than slow!

Full hoist dimwit is the black band.

Uh...Sloco, care to tell everyone who adds the black band? My 35s5 has
two, one more recent than the last. And this boat also has two clearly
showing and the hoist is short of BOTH.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/35s5spin.jpg

Let me try to teach your itty bitty brain about sails. They are often
altered somewhat over time for a boat, Roach is increased as inventory
is improved. Sails are cut flatter or deeper. Small changes are common,
especially for boats cruised and raced PHRF. My current 110% genoa is a
deck sweeper. My new 125% Pentax Mylar is cut higher to clear the
stanchions and was designed as a furling sail from day one. It's also
cut quite flat. My new Kevlar main has more roach than the 35s5
original spec and a few more Sq. Feet of SA and that increased area is
lower due to the roach. The hoist is set for the top batten to stay
clear of the backstay. I'm sorry that you were the ONLY one here to be
unable to spot the extended roach of this sail. Notice no one is
joining you in this debate, especially after I posted pics of other
boats showing about the same hoist. In fact this boat looks even
shorter in the hoist and the sail appears to have the standard roach.

http://home.att.net/~captnerdo/images/Footloos.gif

The black band on the mast is commonly changed on many boats, or just
ignored as new sails are improved on. My buddy with a Sweden 39 just
got a new main and his hoist is altered for just that reason. He also
added roach.
Sorry, dude. You've been busted yet again and this one is going to be a
REGULAR feature just like you dated slower POS Express 30!!!!

RB
35s5
NY