Rod McInnis

Default Onan Generator

wrote in message
om...
Will start and run as ling as I hold the start button. When let up on

start
button the thing dies. What is gong on and how do I correct?

Like others have indicated, it could be the over temperature or oil pressure
protection circuits shutting it down. it could also be a failed relay, or
even a fuse.

When you press the start button, the fuel pump and coil are powered from the
starting battery. Once the generator is producing its own power it uses a
portion of this power to generate its own 12 volts. This in turn activates
a relay that transfers the fuel pump and coil to the generator's output
instead of the starting battery.

The over temperature and oil pressure shutdown switches are in series with
this circuit, as well as a fuse. To get the generator to run on its own,
you need:

1) the generator has to actually produce electricity.
2) the relay has to function.
3) the fuse has to be intact.
4) the over temperature and oil pressure switch has to be closed.

You should be able to get an indication for #1 while you are still holding
the starter switch; that is, while it is still running by benefit of the
starter switch being held you should see 110 volts being generated.

#2 can be a bitch to trace out. Take the cover off the control panel and
look on the inside of the cover, you may have a wiring diagram printed on
the inside (my Onan had one, and I know a lot of others did too).

#3 should be easy, the fuse should be on the panel next to the start/stop
switch right on the generator itself.

#4 You should be able to find the protection switches and bypass them for
testing. Like someone else said, if you bypass the oil pressure switch then
you had better make sure that you have oil pressure!

Rod