John

Default Onan Generator

Ed wrote in message ...
Check the connections on your oil pressure sensor first....Try removing
one leg (I think it only has one leg) and see if it fixes the problem...
if it does, replace the sensor...DO NOT LEAVE IT OFF OR YOU MAY DESTROY
YOUR ENGINE (Or try shorting it to ground... can;t remember if shorting
it or opening it simulates good pressure)

Also... just a dumb question... is there sufficient oil in the unit?

When you hit the starter, it overrides the oil pressure sensor, then
when you let go, it puts it back in the circuit. It is very common for
this problem to happen after an oil change if you forgot to fill the new
oil filter with oil before replacing it. It this is the case, it will
usually fix itself withing a couple trys.

Starters on those units are expensive so don't hold the switch down to
keep it running.

IBNFSHN wrote:
If it an older model, check for a ballast resistor in the circuit. Older GM
vehicles used these and when they went would cause an identical problem.
They were designed that way to reduce points burning out to quickly.

I agree with the above. If it's a diesel they require a fair amount of
oil pressure to over come the oil pressure shut off switch. Get a new
one, if it continuse to be a problem check the oil pressure.