posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hey Oz--

OzOne wrote:
On 25 Sep 2006 17:57:21 -0700, "Peter"
scribbled thusly:

Maxprop wrote:
What can you tell me about Larry Ellison's boat Sayonnara? I'm told he
raced it in the Hobart the year so many died. Any knowledge about that?

I was looking it over rather thoroughly today. It's in storage in a
building in Holland, MI, waiting for who knows what. Sure is a big *******.

I saw it when it got into Hobart in 1998. Yep it's a big *******. IIRC
he took line honours & swore he'd never do that race again.

PDW

My understanding is that he was totally disabled by seasickness and
fear after the storm hit, and yes, he did say that he would never do
that race again despite surviving and taking line honours.

I don't hold that in any way against the man, I know of a dozen or
more who gave up distance ocean racing after their experiences in '98.
One, a yachtsman of world renown has not sailed outside Sydney Heads
since if my memory serves me well.

Geeeze, what a bunch of pussies.

But that shows you many men who can afford Hoybart yachts are lubber's
to start with, who bought thier way to sea. To bad not many real
sailors can afford 60 ft ocean sleads.

Joe

Don't recall Ellison ever coming back here.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.