Wayne.B

Default Kicking and screaming into the present

On 06 May 2004 21:51:00 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:
Actually, not.

I believe in individual components, rather than a single unit that is radar,
plotter, depth sounder, CD player, back scratcher, and beverage mixer all built
into one box. When something fails, I don't want to lose other systems at the
same time.

====================================

I understand your point but I have a different perspective. If you
carry two laptops you have redundant chart plotting, DVD and CD
playing, web surfing, weather reporting, EMAILing, and much more. I
like sitting around in the evening planning out the route for the next
day on the laptop. In the morning I just set it next to the helm
position, connect up the GPS, and its all ready to go with everything
layed out for the day.

The charts on the laptop look just like the paper charts that we know
and love, and you get all the gee whiz electronic features like
instant range and bearing plots, for free. I totally agree on keeping
the radar and depth sounder independant. I don't think the laptop
brings much value added to those functions and wouldn't want to be
switching back and forth in any case. Underway the laptop is
dedicated to course plotting.