posted to rec.boats.paddle
Marsh Jones Marsh Jones is offline

Default Does anyone draft during races?

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Marsh Jones wrote:
ace wrote:

In my first race I drafted as much as I could. I had difficulty staying
in the wake. I dont use rudder. I noticed that no one around me was
drafting.

So why not use the darn rudder? I just don't understand the machisimo
that demands that 'real kayakers don't use a rudder'. I can make
quick corrections to my position and put the boat *exactly* where I
want it by using the rudder - without adjusting my stroke, weight,
paddle, etc. And we're talking about racing here - and in particular
drafting - fine positioning is important.

Did it occur to you that perhaps his boat doesn't have a rudder? REAL
kayaks don't, you know... ;-)

Actually, yeah, it did. I recall from his previous thread that he hired
a CD Solstice GT for a race, so I assumed he chose not to use it.
Anyhow, real RACING kayaks DO have rudders :-)