posted to rec.boats.paddle
Marsh Jones Marsh Jones is offline

Default Does anyone draft during races?

ace wrote:
In my first race I drafted as much as I could. I had difficulty staying
in the wake. I dont use rudder. I noticed that no one around me was
drafting.

So why not use the darn rudder? I just don't understand the machisimo
that demands that 'real kayakers don't use a rudder'. I can make quick
corrections to my position and put the boat *exactly* where I want it by
using the rudder - without adjusting my stroke, weight, paddle, etc.
And we're talking about racing here - and in particular drafting - fine
positioning is important.

W/regard to drafting, it depends. A lot of paddlers don't practice
drafting, and don't feel comfortable doing so. Side riding is wetter in
a kayak, and you need to be very careful to give the person you are
drafting enough room. Coming from canoe racing, drafting is such a part
of paddling, it's automatic. Also, some races discourage drafting, or
will make special reference to sharing the work. In general, sitting on
for miles and then sprinting away near the finish is considered pretty
bad form, and will not earn the respect of your peers.