posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default 1987 First 235 Great Deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6694-...spagenameZWDVW

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Been by there (the old Irby Steel yard in Gulfport) several times to
look at the storm junk. Hard to find something that can be bought at
a price where the finished product could be worth what you would have
to put into it to get it back.

Bingo. That's why they're for sale that way, instead of
being rehabbed on a back lot somewhere.

Friend has bid on 12 boats at a max bid price that he thought he
could bring the boat back reasonably, that is, at a better deal than
just buying a like and same boat in reasonable condition, on the used
market. He hasn't won a bid yet.

I think there will be some very disappointed owners when the talley up
what they had to put in the storm salvage junk.

A lot of these boats have been in the hands of starry-eyed
low-budget dreamers already. I've exchanged emails with
quite a few and maybe one in a 100 has the skills (or the
bloody stick-to-it-ness to learn the skills) to actually put
such a boat into sailing shape; none will ever do the
homework to figure out in advance what it will cost.

But taking these boats ouot of circulation will reduce the
supply and keep up the demand so that the rest of us will be
able to sell our boats one day for more than a pittance.
Thus is The Balance maintained.

DSK