Jack Dale Jack Dale is offline

Default provisioning

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:24:24 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:06:13 GMT, wrote:

I usually estimate water requirements at between 5 and 10 gallons per
person per day. That's on a boat with pressure water and a shower,
probably half that otherwise..

In 25 years of cruising I have never consumed that much water.

Off shore - you sponge bath. Diskes are washed in sea water and
rinsed in fresh.

Coastal - one person can shower in a half gallon by using navy showers
(wet, turn off water, soap, rinse). We also drink bottled water; I
find that people will drink more, thereby reducing dehrydration and
other problems.

You do not need daily showers, remember the weekly bath. I sponge
bathed for 3 months when I had a hip to toe cast.

As an instructor, I teach people to use water sparingly. At your
rates, I would need to refill tanks or every 2 or 3 days. With a full
crew of 5, I can go a week. In areas like Desolation Sound, that is
essential, water is sparse. I hate having to go look for water.

As to the original question. Buy UTH milk, juice in tetra packs,
freeze meat beforehand and keep it next to the cooling plate. Keep
lettuce and salads as far from the cooling plate as possible to avoid
freezing. Store libations next the hull below the waterline to avoid
the need to cool. Use dried pasta. Potatoes, onions, apples, oranges
and many other fruits and vegetables do not need refrigeration, look
at how they are sold in the stores. Eggs keep if you turn them daily.

Avoid front opening fridges on sail boats, they are a poor use of
space, and spill when you open them. They also "let out the cold"
when you open them, increasing electricity use.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor