posted to uk.rec.boats.power
Dave Dave is offline

Default Advice required

Hi

Can I suggest you look for a label which should be mounted somewhere near
the transom of which normally advises the maximum power for the craft as
well as a serial number and other manufactures details.
I would think a 50hp engine would be plenty powerful enough for you needs,
however speedboats are not the most stable of craft to fish from as they are
built to "speed" around or tow skiers.
The other thing you need to do is take at least a RYA Level 2 powerboat
training course to learn about handling, emergency procedures and navigation
etc. The other thing you will need is a VHF radio operators licence which is
another course to take.
You will need safety equipment, up to date flares, good anchor and chain &
rope just for starters.

Good luck

Dave

"Muttsdanglers" wrote in message
k...
Hi everyone
I'm new to the group and a couple of others, and new to any sort of
boating!
but this seems to be the only group with anyone posting at the moment
so here i am!!

Anyway, i have been left a 16 foot speed boat, gps, fishfinder,
lifejackets
etc, but the engine was lost when the garage was broken into and to be
honest i now want to get it back on the water and use it as a sunday
fishing
boat, but as its my first boat i have no idea what size engine will push
my
boat out to sea from Shoreham in sussex about 1/2 a mile and then push me
home again in one piece.
It does not have to be lightening fast, but i want it to be powerful
enough
to get me and a 2nd person out for a few hours fishing, so what do you
think??
Any for sale items can be sent to muttsdanglers at blueyonder dot co dot
uk

Many thanks

Paul