otnmbrd otnmbrd is offline

Default OUPV question

When I first got my license, licenses such as "OUPV" "100ton" "1600ton" were
called OPERATORS licenses.
Without getting into my feelings about the particular qualifications of the
USCG to issue licenses and the changes to terminology, simply stated, the
licenses required to be a "deck officer" on a ship (another bone of
contention) and an OUPV "operator" are night and day differences (kinda like
comparing a 16 yr. old on a learners permit to Mario Andretti).
It's a totally different world of knowledge, experience, training, etc.

otn

"psx1337" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've read about OUPV licenses that limit you to 100 miles near coast
and things like that, but I'm wondering what kind of license does a
cruise ship or similar captain hold that would allow him to cross the
Atlantic? Also, the OUPV seems to be limited to 6 passengers?