posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck chuck is offline

Default Can an alternator be to big?

Capt John wrote:
chuck wrote:
Larry wrote:
"Capt John" wrote in news:1153072859.862252.17460
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Also, if it's not CG approved, and you have a fire because of it,
your insurance company is going to walk away, it's your problem. I'd
stick with the normal marine alternator if I was you.

I think THAT is a very important point, too....

Doesn't the CG requirement kick in only
for gasoline engines? I doubt the
insurance company could walk if the
engine is diesel.

Chuck

The CG requirement is for diesel as well, diesel fuel burns quite well.
Cracked high pressure diesel fuel lines can produce a very fine fuel
mist, and it makes for one hell of a fire if it hits a spark or a hot
dry turbo. Give an insurance company an excuse to walk away from paying
on a loss and watch how fast they run. That's what they pay their
people to do. I looked quickly at my Cat alternator part numbers, they
look like differant part numbers than the truck numbers in the catalog.
It just isn't worth it.

Capt. John, I'd really like to see a
cite for the specific USCG regulation
that requires ignition-protected
alternators on diesel engines. 33 CFR
183.410 addresses only gasoline, and
even then gives a pass if the gasoline
is on the other side of a bulkhead, etc.

Here is the applicability paragraph
(183.401) for ignition protection:

(a) This subpart applies to all boats
that have gasoline engines, except
outboard engines, for electrical
generation, mechanical power, or propulsion.

FWIW, I'm not advocating anything and am
making no judgment here on what is and
isn't worth it. I'm simply seeking
clarification on what the regs actually
say.