Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Cant get fuel pump to prime after changing fuel filter

Eisboch wrote:
"AL" wrote in message
ups.com...

This past weekend after a heavy rain, I took my boat (2050 bayliner
capri,2000 mercruiser 5.0L 350 engine) from my dock to take it out of
the water. Unfortunately, I did not run my bilge pump nearly long
enough and wound up stalling out in the bay. After getting towed to
the put in and back to the house, I found water in the oil which I
promptly changed, and cranked the engine up. It cranked immediately
and ran for about 10 to 15 seconds, then died again. So I changed the
fuel filter (filled with gas first) and now I cant get fuel to the
carb. Have I lost my prime in the fuel pump, if so, how can I get it
primed back or is the pump gone or am I missing something?

You got enough water in the bilge from heavy rain to get water in your oil
and gas?
That boat must have been half submerged.

No automatic bilge pump?

Something doesn't make sense.

Eisboch

Eisboch,
What I guessed he did was threw water all over the engine compartment by
water hitting the fan belts, and the water was ingested into the carb /
fuel injectors. This would be possible with 6 to 8" of water in the
bilge as the boat was coming on and off plane and the water was sloshing
back and forth in the bilge. What made no sense to me at all, is how
water got into the fuel filter. I would have thought the boat would
have been submerged to to effect the fuel filter and at that point you
would not be starting the engine.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!