jamesgangnc

Default Cooling Problem w/ 4.3 GL vovlo I/O

Are you sure that no one has removed the drains on the manifolds or the
sides of the block? Both locations have removable plugs designed to
allow the engine to be drained for winter. When I winterize my boat I
take them out and leave them out until spring.

It is not old enough for corrosion to have taken out the casting aka
"freeze" plugs unless someone mistakely used steel ones when it was
built. One of the differences in marine engines is the use of brass
casting plugs isntead of steel ones.

Changing the impeller in the outdrive would not have any effect on the
water coming out the sides of your engine so this is a different
problem. When the original impeller went south how long did the engine
run overheated? Perhaps the overheating could have had some other
effect leading to this problem. Such as melted water or exhaust hoses
on the manifolds. The manifolds will get very hot if the boat is run
for any length of time without cooling water. The rubber parts in and
connected to the exhaust system will not take it for long before they
melt.

JR North wrote:
Ran it on the trailer without the muffs, huh? 'Bout the only way an
impeller will just self-destruct right after launch (it's already fried
before launch...). You're F***ed now. The core plugs (erroneously called
freeze plugs)are leaking or popped out. For whatever reason. The gist of
your posts indicates you don't have working knowledge of the problem
you're facing. Get a pro to fix it.
JR

landshrk4 wrote:

I have a 2000 Glastron with a 4.3 lt. GL Volvo I/O. Last season the
impeller self destructed. I had not had a chance to replace the
impeller until today. (boat was put away in my garage for the winter)
I had replaced the impeller today but cannot get the water to flow
correctly. the water pump itself is functioning correctly but the
water is coming out of holes (approx. 1" in dia) on the motor under the

manifolds (both sides of the mtor). This water must be removed with
the bilage pump. What is causing this discharge of water from the
motor? It isn't the drain.... Any asistance would be greatly
appreciated. I would like to get this boat back on the water for my
kids.