Don W

Default Fixing scratches in Awlgrip

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Hi Courtney,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with
Awlgrip except for now owning a boat that has been
painted with it. I believe that you would have to
remove the Awlgrip if you wanted to apply new gelcoat.

Don W.

Don W wrote:

Hi Frank,

I've applied Imron successfully with my spray rig on several
occasions, and I suspect applying Awlgrip is similar. I have a Binks
gun with a pressure pot, as well as HVLP guns, gravity feed guns,
touchup guns, and even airless. Oh yes, I've got an air brush with a
compressor also .
Don W.

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Awlgrip (catalyzed polyurethane) is no more difficult to apply than
any good automotive finish. The problem is getting the perfect color
match. If you have or can get the mix formula and the finish isn't
faded, the battle is 90 percent won.

For small scratches I would wet sand them out and use an air brush or
small touch up gun. Or if you have a friend who is in the auto body
or car restoration business, get them to help you.

Just follow the safety info with regard to respiratory protection. It
is fairly potent stuff.

Frank

I have a boat with an old Awlgrip finish and am pondering my next move
and am intrigued with your comments about gelcoat.

From your experience, what options do I have, if any,
regarding.....gelcoat, Awlgrip, etc.... ? And, which do you recommend
and why ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney