posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Baker

Default Strength: Folded-Up Cloth vs Loose Fibers?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

snip

I think I have the tape replacement process pretty much wired: clean the area
obsessively with a sanding block - removing all traces of the prior bonding
material and any gel coat and then just 'poxy new tape over top.

Pretty much, Yup!

Not sure whether I need any more resin than is needed to wet out the tape...
i.e. would a second coat to fill in the weave add anything besides weight
and/or cosmetics?

Will add just weight, and un-sandability....

I'm still mulling over the crack repair.

On one hand, it seems like I should be able to get some thinned resin to pull
itself in there just by surface tension. On the other hand, I have no idea of
what the condition of the two surfaces is. My guess would be that they aren't
as clean as I'd hope.

If I go all the way and carve out the bad stuff, then I have to mix up some
resin/fiberglass filaments and stuff it in there. That's where the OP came
from: I don't know if I should take the trouble to chop up a bunch of glass
or just stuff the folded-over wetted cloth into the gap. The folded-over cloth
seems like it would give more control over seepage/weeping on the inside of the
hull. OTOH, maybe it's not mechanically strong enough...

Can you send photos of the area?
Addie as ever, saildesign @ aohell.com (you know what it's really
called, right?)

Steve