Default How to Attach a T-Top to a Boat Without the Access Under the Deck?

Gene Kearns wrote:
On 19 Apr 2006 11:11:00 -0700, "
wrote:

I would like to de-attach and re-attach the T-top of my boat. But
before I do this, I want to make sure that I will be able to re-attach
it. The problem is that I have very little access to the under-deck
area right under the legs of the T-top. There is only around 2" to 3"
space underneat the deck -- I can stick my hand into it, but I cannot
turn my hand to do any work. Therefore, I am looking for a way to
attach the T-top onto my deck from above the deck.

Any trick that people can offer? Thanks.

Jay Chan

It isn't clear whether you want to do this more than once.....

If you intend to do this on a regular basis, I'd consider having some
stainless plates made to go on the back side... you really do want
through-bolts. Drill and tap the plates to match the existing holes
and attach the plates with countersunk stainless screws.

Once installed access to the back side becomes unnecessary....

I only intend to re-attach it once.

Why do I need a stainless steel backing plate (instead of a regular
galvonized plate) if I need to re-attach the T-top frequently?

Jay Chan