posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ted

Default AIS ship data: everibody have seen this? - why do we use GPS to track buoys??

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...

And let's hope they actually start discusssing the security risks
associated with this idea.

What security risks would that be?

Invalid data being improperly uploaded from an authorized source.

Thats what Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) and data authentication is for.
Its clear that you don't understand these concepts either.

I sure hope not. Electronic devices fail and radio frequencies can be
jammed or interferred with.

Paper maps can be misprinted. They can get destroyed accidentally, and

buoys
can be moved by storms and collisions. A compass can be damaged and also
interfered with by magnetic sources on the ship or in the waters. They
too
are not 100% reliable.

And a chartplotter's electronics can die at hundreds of different points
of
failure. Even something as simple a blown backlight on the LCD can render
it useless. To say nothing of corrosion on any number of connectors. Or
just plain power failure.

So in your own special immature way you are arguing that both systems have
failure points. Duh.

If the power goes out I can simply walk out in
the SUNLIGHT, read the paper chart and eye up the navigation markers.

This is why I'm afraid to ride on a boat that you are piloting. You don't
even seem to understand that its dark for half the day.

The point is that none of them work well enough to be consider 'exclusive'
of the others.

Read the subject line of this thread again. Its about using GPS to track
buoys.

Your fears come from your lack of understanding of
the basic principles of navigation.

And your naivete regarding possible interference with GPS is likewise
lacking in understanding.

You have a lot of courage to use the word "naivete" after your comment above
about using daylight to read your paper map. Its clear that you purchased a
GPS at your local boat store and have learned how to push a few of the
buttons and now here you are trying to pretend you are an expert.

How many times has your GPS quit working due to interference? Are you even
aware of what is being done to reduce that problem? Do you even know what
RAIM is?

Its clear that you are one of the old geezers who thinks its a sin to use
anything but compass and paper map. You think this way because thats all

you
know.

You're a fool if you think you know my level of experience.

Your level of experience is clear from the immature and emotional things you
say.

You're fishing
to insult the intelligence of the group but all you're doing is painting
yourself the idiot.

You shouldn't try to hide behind the group now that you have been shown to
not know much about what you are talking about. I see no one running to your
aid or trying to defend your emotional statements. You are simply an old
geezer who jumps at the chance to declare how you love paper maps and don't
trust GPS because you don't understand GPS and now you are upset that I
dared to point out that fact.

While I agree that electronic charting is
*definitely* worth using it's not without issues.

Again, what issues would that be? Its interesting how vague your language
gets when telling the world how much you hate electronic navigation. You
don't want to admit that the only problem is that you fear it because you
don't understand it.

Again, see earlier fool comment. I understand electronic navigation quite
well, thank you...

No. You don't. You have demonstrated that you don't.

and I like using it whenever possible.

You are clearly an appliance operator. That's all you understand. Being an
appliance operator is not a bad thing in itself, just don't try to pretend
in this group that you understand anything about the basics of navigation.

But it's ridiculous
to think it's and end-all, beat-all solution for navigation.

GPS navigation does not require buoys. It never did and it never will. The
rest of your mindless bleating is against a straw man of your own making.

And when it comes to safety I'm not sure I'd even bother
arguing for 'saving'. Penny-wise, pound-foolish, more or less.

You seem to be a rather slow individual.

And you're an arrogant ass, but I'm sure you've heard that before.

Only from old geezers who enjoy lecturing the rest of the world about how
smart they are and how map and compass is the "end-all, beat-all solution
for navigation" when the truth is that map and compass is all they learned
and all they are capable of knowing. I'm still laughing from your claim that
when your GPS fails you can simply take your paper map out into the
SUNLIGHT. LOL!

The idea that GPS navigation does
not require buoys in any way in the water or on a chart has completely
soared over your head. Your mind clearly has not come to grips with that
basic fact. Instead you spend this post arguing that buoys should stay
for
redundancy. This is a perfectly good reason to keep buoys in the water
but
has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making. Considering
your
inability to think and process written material in this thread, I'm glad
won't be riding on any of your boats. It doesn't sound safe.

Wow, how stunningly immature.

Yes, just what I was thinking about you and your fetish for paper map and
compass.

I see the concept that GPS does not require buoys is still way over your
head.

Instead of carrying out a rational
conversation all you can do it stoop to insulting anyone that contradicts
you? Wake us up when you grow up and learn how to converse.

Learn how to read a post before you respond to it unless you wish to be
shown the fool.