rhys

Default Beneteau vs Hunter

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:49:09 GMT, wrote:

I am shopping for a new cruising sailboat.
My eyes are set on a 34.3 Beneteau and 33 Hunter both have in mast furling.
The specifications shows that they are build to CE A and equipped with front
opening frig. I never had any furling gears before let alone the in mast
furling. All I have on my old sailboat is top loading icebox and a tiller.
As for the wheel, going around it does not leave you much space for quick
reactions. The folding wheel is one option but is it good? From what I can
see you can only fold the wheel when at anchor or maybe on a long tack? I
could benefit from any comments and feedback.

If you've done heavy weather sailing in a tiller-steered 27 footer,
either boat will likely be 1) a huge step forward in comfort,
convenience and design, and 2) a huge step backward in sailing
ability. I don't like either of them as sailing machines, but I
particularly find the Hunter 33 weakly built, with far too high a
freeboard, a too high mast and construction and gear sized for no more
than 25 knots. I am sure it is more comfortable for drinks and snacks
than my old 33 footer, but I am also sure it would be a mess and quite
possibly a hazard in six foot seas.

The icebox would be the least of my concerns, frankly, unless either
boat was to be chained to a dock, as many apparently are.

R.