posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

"DSK" wrote in message
derbyrm wrote:

Even a short (20 to 30 foot) length of chain adds a lot of weight.

True. That doesn't mean you need to carry it right at the bow.

But that's where the self draining storage compartment is shown by the
designer.

That depends on whom you consider a "real cruiser." There are places where
more chain is certainly desirable but many others where it's just a heavy
PITA. In a small boat like a Chebacco you would do well to avoid heavy
macho "solutions" and try to keep things light & practical.

I have used all-chain rode in places like the Bahamas and some parts of
New England, but for most of the U.S. east coast, it's overkill. Many a
"real cruiser" seems to like all-chain for bragging rights about the
hairy-assedness of his or her ground tackle (shrug). Improperly set, or
using the wrong anchor, will drag just as readily with all-chain as with
short heavy chain & line. OTOH I've anchored securely many a night
(including some pretty heavy weather) with rodes of mostly rope.

Misunderstanding here! I gave up the idea of an all chain rode when I gave
up on my version of Badger. The short heavy length is what I'm thinking of.
Or a keggle.

I imagine that most of my anchoring will be along the shores of the Ohio
River, and there's some pretty nasty jetsum, up to and including houses and
sunken barges, in those parts.

Stowage amidships has been done, but it's a really difficult thing to do
well.

True.

.... Put it amidships and you've diced the cabin with the hawse tube.
Put it to one side and, over time, one of your legs gets shorter.

In small boats, I've had pretty good luck storing the anchor either under
the well deck or at the forward end of one of the cockpit lockers, and
leading the rode around the outside to the bow chock. When you want to
anchor, just pull up a little further to windward of your spot to allow
for the extra 20 or so feet of rode you just dropped. That also eliminates
the ugly marks from dragging the chain across the boat.

That's an idea I really like! I keep forgetting that I'll have all that
storage under the cockpit seats. Once it's rinsed off, it can go by the
battery bank (with proper insulation/protection/baffles).

I've updated the rudder pictures in the middle of
http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm/Dayawl.html

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm