DSK

Default replacing forward cockpit drain hose, valves, ranger 26

wrote:
I don't want to screw with the existing through hulls (hell the boat's
been floating for 35 years now)

'K... it does work, but some of us are paranoid and just
*have* to tell you about all possible failure modes

Bob yeah there is going to be *very scant* freeboard I bet. Closing the
seacocks? I don't know, I get out there once/twice a week and if it
rains a lot cockpit will flood and possibly forward into the cabin.
Transom drainage came about 2 years later as a standard design AFAIK
and in this cockpit the traveller is supported by a little wall on the
back there that closes off the rest.. The (outboard) engine well itself
drains back but everything else is to the front (Roger).

I think closing off the cockpit drain valves while you're
away from the boat is a bad idea. That's one of the things
that make solid fiberglass tubes a good idea IMHO. But
you're right, it's worked all this time and will continue.

It would be less trouble than putting in solid tube fwd
drains and may help if you add a drain tube thru the back
wall under the traveler. Cockpit drainage capacity is one of
those things where more is definitely better!

What's the complexity with the teflon tape? I've used this before on
conventional plumbing but I suppose it's not as critical there - what
is the right and wrong way to apply it?

The basics of the right way:

Always start with clean thread.

Always double check that you're using the right tape for the
service.

Start one thread back from the end of the nipple. The
initial thread contact must be metal to metal.

Wrap the tape the same direction as the threads, so that as
you screw in the fitting, the tape wraps tighter.

Never more than three wraps.

Never put teflon tape on any non-tapered fitting, and never
use teflon tape as a substitute for the right size & pitch
of thread.

Again thanks for everyone's comments. I may have more info to follow up
on tomorrow. Cheers,

You're welcome and I'll be looking out for your results. I'm
going down to the boat this weekend myself, epoxy kit in hand!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King