Ryk

Default Was Suits V. Raft: They are not SURVIVAL Suits!

On 3 Apr 2006 22:39:43 -0700, in message
.com
"Bob" wrote:

So lets look at the original post.

"........... My application is Great Lakes sailing, for now at least,
so there is
plenty of cool to cold fresh water available and the potential search
area is well serviced and contained. Hypothermia and drowning are the
big issues..................."

So this guy says he is going to sail on a Great Lake in cold weather. I
assume he means 65 degree or less water temp.

I'm the original poster. I don't think I said anything about cold
weather, just concerns about water temperature for extended exposure.
It's usually warm enough for swimming, except for the beginning of the
racing season when we have plenty of immediate rescue assistance
available. Any open lake cruising usually waits for mid season. The de
facto standard locally is life jackets and an inflatable dinghy
(mentioned in the original post). I'm looking at exceeding that
standard and asking about cost effectiveness of alternatives.

My application is a lot less extreme than offshore fishing in the
Pacific North West. I'm sorry that you have lost buddies in those
conditions. Last time I was 100 miles off the Oregon Coast in a gale
we were carrying two life rafts for redundancy, and surfing at speeds
that were either thrilling or terrifying, depending on who you ask.

Ryk