H. Overbeek

Default Volvo Penta 39; Req. for Doc.

Guys, guys, guys, you're getting quite Off Topic here. All I tried was to
re-activate Ena, she (?) may be the answer to my problems and you're
deviating into her name, please find yourselves an inuit group ;-).

Harm

"Reggie Smithers" schreef in bericht
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:55:02 -0500, Reggie Smithers
wrote:

Ena is a very common Irish name means "fire".

It also describes three thousand nine hundred and fifty different
types of snow in Eskimo.

It's all in how you pronounce it.

I promonuce it ena. ; )

I am curious where you heard about ena being different words for snow,
while it is an urban myth, it is not a common one.

Eskimo Snow Lexemes

A. Snow particles
(1) Snowflake

qanuk 'snowflake'

qanir- 'to snow'

qanunge- 'to snow' [NUN]

qanugglir- 'to snow' [NUN]

(2) Frost

kaneq 'frost'

kaner- 'be frosty/frost sth.'

(3) Fine snow/rain particles

kanevvluk 'fine snow/rain particles

kanevcir- to get fine snow/rain particles

(4) Drifting particles
natquik 'drifting snow/etc'

natqu(v)igte- 'for snow/etc. to drift along ground'

(5) Clinging particles

nevluk 'clinging debris/

nevlugte- 'have clinging debris/...'lint/snow/dirt...'

B. Fallen snow

(6) Fallen snow on the ground

aniu [NS] 'snow on ground'

aniu- [NS] 'get snow on ground'

apun [NS] 'snow on ground'

qanikcaq 'snow on ground'

qanikcir- 'get snow on ground'

(7) Soft, deep fallen snow on the ground

muruaneq 'soft deep snow'

(8) Crust on fallen snow

qetrar- [NSU] 'for snow to crust'

qerretrar- [NSU] 'for snow to crust'

(9) Fresh fallen snow on the ground

nutaryuk 'fresh snow' [HBC]

(10) Fallen snow floating on water

qanisqineq 'snow floating on water'

C. Snow formations

(11) Snow bank

qengaruk 'snow bank' [Y, HBC]

(12) Snow block

utvak 'snow carved in block'

(13) Snow cornice

navcaq [NSU] 'snow cornice, snow (formation) about to collapse'

navcite- 'get caught in an avalanche'

D. Meterological events

(14) Blizzard, snowstorm

pirta 'blizzard, snowstorm'

pircir- 'to blizzard'

pirtuk 'blizzard, snowstorm'

(15) Severe blizzard

cellallir-, cellarrlir- 'to snow heavily'

pir(e)t(e)pag- 'to blizzard severely'

pirrelvag- 'to blizzard severely'

--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."