posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default bogUS Sailing is NOT the governing body of the sport.

Steve, I don't think he is there any more. I didn't say he
was a CP instructor--he probably was. He did serve as
BK/BC IT outside of the Naval Academy for US Sailing
commerical keelboat school. Give me a call or pass your
phone number to Doug and I'll tell you whatever you want
to know.

Tell me Steve, do you think a keelboat instructor needs
to take yet another certification course to teach small
boats? I don't. That issue alone turned me away from
volunteering at one location.

Do you think that every single certification required
that someone take an evaluation course? The purpose
of which is to make money? Should there not be a
process where a committee review is sufficient to
grant such status? Take the Naval Academy guy.
It was presumed he was passed and he was not
evaluated to the same standard as I was. In my
opinion, he probably could have shown he taught
such courses, document this fact and be able to
submit a resume to place out of such a requirement.

Certainly if the presumption is everyone should be
evaluate to the same standard, they should all be
treated exactly the same. Everything should be
above board. If it's not, it needs to be fixed.
Those at fault need to be removed from such
authority.

Given the close similarities between ASA and bogUS
Sailing's keelboat programs, do you think ASA
certified instructor need to re-qualify for US Sailing?
I don't.

Do you think less qualified people should be
evaluating those with more comprehensive sailing
resumes? I don't.

Do you think a high percentage of the IT's should come
from one sailing school? I don't.

Do you think a man who runs a commercial sailing
school should be the training chair? I don't.

Do you think commercial sailing instructor's deserve
their own representation at US Sailing? I do.

You say there are lots of opportunities for feedback
on the small boat side. Why then is there a gap in the
grievance process in the By-Laws for instructors?

The bottom line is it seems most sailor wants to think
they are better than most everyone else. I've seen it
in racing crews, I've seen it in US Sailing. You have
so many ego's trying to drive others down in the pecking
order. What happened to developing skills?

I've said it many times in the past. You have to be
humble if you want to learn. US Sailing needs to
develop some humility.

"NotPony" wrote
Bart, who is this Navy guy who is now a CP
instructor? Cmdr. Vandenberg is the Director of
the NA's sailing program, and he isn't a CP
instructor. In fact, I don't see anyone in the
list that is associated with the NA.
I don't know about the keelboat side, but in the
small boat training side, there are many
opportunities for the instructors and host site to
be critiqued.
S.