Gary Warner

Default Republicans trying to gag nonprofits

"Jim" wrote in message
news
Jim,

I agree this legislation seems quite scarry. There are some tricky lines
here. On the one hand most people think there is already to much political
sway held by groups with money. Hence there are laws that regulate how
groups that are primarily political in nature - or are taking political
stances - how they can raise and spend money. On the other hand it's
importand that watchdog groups or any group that notices problems in the
government can raise and spend the money they need to -- in the ways they
need to -- to aleart the public.

In this case I don't yet know enough about the current and proposed laws to
know what makes sense. I will say that if "we" are going to error or if the
lines are at all blurry then I think we should CERTAINLY have fewer laws and
more ability for groups to speak out.

The free flow of ideas and information is what keeps it all honest.

Gary