Capt. JG

Default The answer on jib sheets

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote
Is it my imagination or is the second sheet captured only by a loop of
the first, and thus could pull it apart? I'm sure there's a way of
avoiding this ... but it illudes me right now.

It's your imagination (or lack thereof right at this moment). Both loops
are held by their own standing parts. It's hard to convey in the pictures
but will be come clear if you fiddle with a couple of spliced loops.

BTW I know that most of you don't have problems with bowlines and other
knots hanging up on the shrouds. I don't either when I'm sailing alone or
with an experienced crew. A lot of my sailing is with people, often kids,
that I'm trying to talk through the process and poor timing of the
steering and line handling makes a big difference. I hate to see that
wincher grinding for all he or she is worth when all the strain is being
taken by the foreward lowers as I try to get the hesitant helmsman to give
her another quarter turn.

Hmmm... well, I mostly sail with novices and students. They have to learn at
some point, and this is one of the things they need to learn... how to
prevent this from happening.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com