posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Mills

Default Generators - a different angle

wrote:

Fair comment on the power filter norman, probably a good idea for
sensitive loads whatever setup you have!

But $500 for 1500w goes a long way to buying a complete diesel genset!

Anyone else got a comment on my original setup?
Ian

Two comments:

1: You are looking to pull an awful lot of very high current cables in
with your approach as currents are much higher and allowable voltage
drops smaller. I favor getting the voltage up to a reasonable level as
close as possible to the batteries or alternator rather then carting a
hundred amps of 12V around (which will only be 9V or so at the load).
Do you really want 35mm welding cables to the microwave?

2: Mains voltage electrics onboard are really NOT that big a deal,
certainly given the choice between a dozen meters of cable running at
120/240/415V (depending) and the same length of cable at 12 or 24v with
an inverter on the far end, give me the high voltage circuit any day
(Lower fire risk, deal with the shock issue at source with an RCD (GFI)).
If you must use an inverter, stick it as close to the source of LV power
as possible.

Just my €0.02.

Regards, Dan.