posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

Default Keel cooler cast into lead

That is a WHOLE different creature. With refrigeration you are trying to
dump a few hundred BTUs an hour. With engine cooling you are dumping a few
hundred BTUs a MINUTE. Lead is not the greatest heat conductor so you will
need a lot more surface area than a bare tube condenser. It will be hard to
bury that much and still keep the lead structurally sound.

With my small diameter tube I am not to worried about the bond but I will
sand blast the whole bolt frame/condenser assembly and paint the tubing with
an acid flux formulated for tinning copper pots. I found that the
copper/nickel wets out much better with it than regular acid solder flux.

I wired the tubes in place with .032 316L stainless wire. Not ideal but I
end up with a lot of 6' lengths every time I change from 316 to mild steel
wire on my MIG welder so I figure to put it to some use.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Hess cutter 56" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was planning to use pipe cast into the keel to cool the engine.!
{A Sabb 22hp}. The Keel cooler that came with the engine is 10' long
5/8 tubing My keel will be a long rectangle. Aprox. 10' x 15"x 15"
. Glenn do you plan to use some type of flux on the tubing , Before
casting the lead ? And what type of wire do plan to use , To hold the
tubing in place Thanks CW