posted to rec.boats.electronics
Eric Fairbank

Default what size wire to use for 30amp 12v circuit ?

So, now your saying your theory only applies to certain radios? Then you
shouldn't make blanket statements like you did. You mislead the average joe
who reads this newsgroup. It is not common knowledge and while it may be a
"fact" for "one" radio, it is certainly not a "fact" in general. I disproved
your statement on the Icom 735, and today I disproved it on the SEA222,
Icom-710, Icom-802, SEA235 and a Yaesu FT-897. I'm not disputing the fact
that minimizing voltage drops on an HF installation is of prime importance.
I just think you are way out of line making such a statement and claiming it
as a commonly understood fact.

Eric

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
It is commonly understood that for each volt dropped from 13.6 VDC
at the radios PowerAmp DC Terminals, you lose 50% of your PEP Power.
So if your at 13.6 Vdc you get your 150 PEP, and at 12.6 VDC you
get 75 PEP, and at 11.6 Vdc you get 35 PEP and below 11.0 VDC
the internal Voltage Regulators drop out of regulation and the
radio goes OFF.

It is not a Myth, is is a Fact, and as others have stated, your
experiment doesn't prove, or disprove the fact. Also, as Larry
stated the 21st Century Icom Rigs have a lot more headroom in the
SolidState Amps than just about any other Marine MF/HF Radio,
just to deal with this cause. Just try your experiment with ANY
SGC designed and built radio.