Larry

Default Boat Broker Question ...

"Danny" wrote in news:11va7iuktie0893
@corp.supernews.com:

Larry: Are you a lawyer or broker?

Screwed buyer. I successfully returned a 1997 Yamaha GP1200 PWC that was
a design mistake they told me they'd never take back. They were wrong...
(c; They called it "buyer's remorse".

I hired a lawyer....and learned a LOT in the process....

Every CONSUMER needs to read the FTC manual for the Businesspersons...
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
and hold their sorry asses to the fire it produces. You don't need to
lean on some local lemon law that's just for cars. Magnusson-Moss
Warranty Protection Act (15USC50 section 2300) is quite specific and,
even though dealer/manufacturer amnesia is a problem, easily to
understand. I faxed the law and the manual to MY dealer at midnight just
to make sure HE had a copy...(c;

My favorite passage is 2304(a)(4):

"(4) if the product (or a component part thereof) contains a defect or
malfunction after a reasonable number of attempts by the warrantor to
remedy defects or malfunctions in such product, such warrantor must
permit the CONSUMER to elect either a refund for, or replacement
without charge of, such product or part (as the case may be). The
Commission may by rule specify for purposes of this paragraph, what
constitutes a reasonable number of attempts to remedy particular kinds of
defects or malfunctions under different circumstances. If the warrantor
replaces a component part of a consumer product, such replacement shall
include installing the part in the product without charge."

I've capslocked the most important word in the whole law....CONSUMER
....It doesn't say DEALER...or MANUFACTURER...or SERVICE MANAGER...or
TELEPHONE TAG EXPERT. It's up to the CONSUMER...US NOT "THEM"...to say
it's fixed or not and whether WE, not them, are to get a NEW ONE or a
full REFUND, which is what I chose.

Notice it doesn't say TRADE UP OUR CRAPWARE TO GET MORE OUT OF YOU or GET
A DISCOUNT COUPON? It says NEW UNIT or REFUND! Tested over and over in
court, the judges have settled on 30 days or 3 attempts to fix it....NOT
ALL SUMMER. It also DOESN'T say they can just ignore you because they
don't like you coming around the dealership bitching about it being crap.

(It doesn't say how far you need to be from the dealer, but the judges
have settled that on 2.5 miles. Luckily, I was a mile from mine...(c

It's why Wally World cheerfully refunds your money when the zipper falls
out of the pants or the toaster stops toasting....Wally is not your
friend. Wally is trying to put the BEST face on following the LAW! It
seems to work. The armored car hauls off Wally's money SIX times a day
where I live! It takes two guards to carry all the bags of it.

Why can't boat companies learn from Wally??
Ever seen an armored car at a boat dealer? broker? No....