Roger Long

Default Boat Broker Question ...

Thomas (or is it Jasper as I see in your first post that started this
thread),

Buying even a modest cruising boat and turning it into a safe,
reliable, and going concern is a complex and expensive process.
Certain personality traits have a lot of bearing on the outcome
because doing it successfully covers a wide range of sills. Many of
them are not technical. Dealing with the broker (who works only for
the seller and has a legal duty to represent only the seller's
interests), surveyors, boatyards, etc., productively involves
interpersonal skills and business sense that are often at odds with
the impulses that make people want to get far out in a small craft
away from society. There is a lot that can go wrong so patience and
reasonableness are vital.

I'm always very interested in the human factors. What small insight I've
gained from your posts makes me absolutely fascinated to see if you
ever actually get a boat and start cruising in it. I hope you will
continue to keep us informed of your progress and post some pictures
somewhere when you close the sale.

--

Roger Long