Thomas Wentworth

Default Boat Broker Question ...

Mys Terry,,, you are starting to annoy me.

====================================
"Mys Terry" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:40:28 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

Lately, I have been in contact with a number of boat brokers. Is it just
me, but these people seem sleazy. They have a listing, they represent the
buyer [ and themselves ]. They stand to make money if a sale goes through
yet they don't seem to know much, nor do they want to do much. If you ask
them something about a boat, they say "get a survey". In most cases, they
have never been on the boat, not have they ever seen the boat.

Surveys are fine, but they can cost hundreds of dollars.

I don't know,,, maybe is me but I really think boat brokers are a
dishonest
bunch.

What are your thoughts.

Jasper

Stop expecting others to do your homework. A broker's job is to bring a
buyer
and a seller together. They are not baby sitters or therapists. It's your
job to
decide if a boat is what you want. Do the first survey yourself. If you
get that
far and it still looks good, then hire a pro for a second survey. You
don't have
a survey done on every boat that you consider - just the one you want to
make an
offer on.

It's silly to say that boat brokers are a dishonest bunch. That comes
mostly
from a misguided idea of the broker's function. The reality is that the
broker
HAS to rely on whatever the seller tells them about the boat, whether it
is
accurate or not. What else can they do? They don't own the boat. They
are just
there to market it, and try to attract potential buyers. That is all. Get
real.

Mys Terry