chuck

Default Old Boats and Insurance

Hmmm. An 83 foot boat that loses power in a Florida marina could incur
$500k in property damage in a microsecond.

Is an umbrella liability policy available with your homeowner's policy?

MarshallE wrote:
I am looking for insurance for my old big boat. (83 foot, 1940's, twin 220
hp diesel..etc.) The boat is located mid East coast USA.

Question- If I am interested in liability only coverage with 3 to $500,000
coverage...which companies should I speak to and what should I expect to
spend? Many marinas are requiring proof of at least liability so I am
guessing that others with older boats face the same challenges as I do. I
am hopeful that the more experienced have found good coverage at reasonable
prices.

Currently I am being quoted around $2,500 for liability only and hear tales
of others paying very little for the same type of liability only coverage.

Hull coverage quotes run an additional $4500 for around a $100,000 of hull
coverage with $10,000 deductible. (This was nearly impossible to locate due
to age and length.) Due to the cost I am considering dropping and
self-insuring the hull.

Thanks for your help and I hope these questions are not inappropriate for
this group.