RCE

Default For my upcoming trip...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
RCE wrote:
my youngest boy is training in south carolina for the state police and
they were issues their service weapons this past week - glock 22s with
the 17 round system - one in the chamber, 16 in the clip.

he was telling me he couldn't believe how quickly he could empty a
clip at a target.

Question for you. If someone who never owned a handgun was interested in
getting one (and attending the required prerequisite course) which of
the two following handguns would you recommend to simply have as a last
resort means of personal family protection?

Glock or ...
1911 (new)

RCE

Glock is a brand name, while "1911" is more of a style.
For the money, you cannot beat a Glock.
They're simple, they're easy to clean, they're accurate,
and they rarely have a problem firing.

A good 1911 is a more complex piece, but also worthy. It is a "heavier"
gun in every way, though.

A 9 mm Glock will be light enough in recoil for a woman to use, yet deadly
enough with practice to stop anyone. Plus, the ammo with which you
practice is dirt cheap. The 9mm practice ammo I use is about $5.50 for 50
rounds. Glock also makes handguns in "heaver" calibers, including .45.

The Glock, though, has no built-in safety in the traditional sense. If a
round is chambered and you pull the trigger, it will fire. Period. A 1911
has the traditional "safety."

You should keep your finger off the trigger until it is safe to fire and
you are ready to fire.

A new Glock will run you between $500 and $600 or so. A decent quality
1911 will run between $800 and a grand.

Thanks. The 1911 I was looking at is manufactured by Colt, I believe.

RCE