bradleyj bradleyj is offline
Junior Member

Wouldn't two DIESELS be much cheaper and lots more reliable than outboard
gas guzzlers in a commercial operation???[/quote]

Yes, diesels would be prefereable. However this hull was specifically designed for twin outboards. It has a transom extension for mounting the outboards. The hull is also pretty shallow, so there's not much space for engines under the deck. As for costs, the outboards were MUCH cheaper to purchase than diesels would have been, especially since I got them used. These are relatively new direct injected, computer controlled 2-strokes and the boat is pretty light (about 5000 lbs dry), so I get great gas mileage; about 2 mpg crusing at 25 knots. What I'd really love would be a pair of 150 HP diesel OUTBOARDS, but I don't think there's any such thing. Having two engines covers me on reliability. I can still make over 25 knots on one motor. Full speed at WOT on both motors is almost 40 knots.

One of the earlier posts mentions RF noise concerns from the motors. Any other opinions on this? I could line the motor cowls with aluminum foil if this would help.

Also, with a 17.5' antenna, at what frequencies would I have best performance at? What kind of ranges could I expect? The only really important frequency for me is 2182 kHz (int'l distress). I need to be able to contact local Coast Guard stations (several of which will be less than 150 miles away at any given time) on this frequency in an emergency.

Last edited by bradleyj : February 1st 06 at 02:47 PM