Jeff

Default Marina Question ,,,

The last time I did the ICW was 2001 and the only place over $3 a foot
for a transient was Trump's in AC. I don't remember Cape May as being
particularly expensive, and it is an easy place to anchor. I was only
charged a "catamaran premium" once ($5!) though I did have to pay for
oversize slips a few times. T-heads are special case, though. Next
summer I'll be paying for a 42 foot t-head even though my cat is only
38 (including extensions) feet long.

Overall, I was very impressed by the hospitality and reasonable
treatment we received almost everywhere. Although there were a few
overpriced places, it was more common to find helpful, friendly
places, charging a buck a foot (probably not too many of them left!).
Many of them would load us a car for shopping, or make other special
accommodations. While the prices might be higher now, I'd be
surprised if gouging was the rule, rather than the exception.

A few exceptions do stand out - like the twit who wanted us to pay for
50 Amp service when we were stepping down to 30 Amp and didn't have an
A/C (we said no thanks). Or paying a fortune to raft 4 deep at Block
Island.

OTOH, its clear that we're in an inflationary period now.
Overcrowding is causing rates in Boston to go up - fancy marinas
downtown can get $160 a foot for the summer, without parking. More
unnerving is that the second and third tier places are able to get
rates that just a few years ago were "premium."

Paul Cassel wrote:
Thomas Wentworth wrote:

Is this the way of the world in cruising? Have all the marina's
become thieves?

I didn't quite follow your story, but your reaction mirrors mine. Here
is one of my stories:

I put into Cape May due to some gales when I was sailing south one
November. I was weathered in. Beats me if that was a factor, but the
place charged me $248 / night for my 42' sailboat. Left a very bad taste
in my mouth as you may guess. No, it wasn't a resort marina - just an
end tie with no amenities.