posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats,alt.inventors
NYC XYZ

Default Aw, Barnacles!

Excellent! Thanks again, Rodney...say, do I get a discount if I tell
'em you sent me? =)

Hope your wife gets the Tandem, too...and you your electric trolling
motor!

Rodney Long wrote:
NYC XYZ wrote:

Thanks for the review, Rodney! How do you think it'll do against a 3-5
knot current? Is it possible to paddle and pedal at the same time for
increased propulsion?

Absolutely

How tough is the boat? I wonder if its shell is
good enough for the very cold waters of wintertime.

It seams thicker than a regular kayak

Is there a downside to it at all that you can see? Or something that
you feel could be improved a bit? I'm thinking of getting the Hobie
Cat Mirage Tandem Kayak.

The only thing I added was more tie down points, and a rear anchor
system,, both of these are needed for fishing, other than that,, they
could replace the rudder with a very small electric motor :-) I'm
thinking of putting my own back there, it won't be hard to modify a
small trolling motor to mount on the rudder stud, this way you could
even have power, and a reverse, if your really wanted the ultiment PWC

Oh, sorry, but an angler I ain't! Though I enjoy seafood, for the most
part.

What do you think of the Mirage Tandem, though? While $2K is a lot of
money to me, it's still rather less than what I'd initially feared.

Man they say that thing is really fast, the wife wants me to get one of
those for the family

I hope the, what, 14-16' length doesn't mean I'll be fighting against
the water! I've paddled wooden kayaks while sometimes feel like I'm
trying to drag the thing along (of course, I'm a newbie, but the
plastic boats were more comfortable and fun).

There is no drag on my OutBack,, it will coast forever, it feels like

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread