posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Default Log book for eventual USCG 100-ton license

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am still a long ways from being qualified for a USCG 100-ton captain's
license, but I should would like to collect the right information to
eventually qualify.

I have an accurate log on the computer of every sail I've done since I
started 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I do not have signatures because it's
computer log.

Bummer... because it won't count unless it's on your boat or you can get the
owners to sign off on the hours.

I'm going to start keeping both a paper and computer log, so I can collect
signatures. I'll contact some of the skippers I've sailed with and ask
for
signatures for past sails.

Good idea. The website has downloadable sea time forms. You can fill them
out, and then have the owners, sign, date, fill in tonnage, numbers, etc.

The question is: what EXACTLY should I log? Please don't tell me to look
at the requirements online, because I've done that and it's still very
vague.

You need to log the individual days. You don't need to log the hours,
specifically, but what Joe said is accurate as far as how much counts for
what.

Do I need the vessels documentation number?

If it's on the form, you need it.

FYI, you can always talk to the Chief who administers the licensing. They're
very helpful, but you do need to talk to the Chief, not necessarily the
person who answers the phone.

I assume that you do not count any time in rigging a boat as part of the
hours/days (in racing, this can be fairly significant)?

I've never consider that either way. I figured time I stepped on the boat to
time I stepped off the boat.

I've been told that a "day" is four hours. This brings up numerous
questions:

1) What if I sail for 3 hours every Wednesday and 3 hours every Saturday
for 16 weeks (typical racing schedule). That's a total of 6*16 = 96 hours
on the water, spread evenly over 32 separate sailing events, but none of
them lasting 4 hours. Is it true that I cannot count any of this time for
credit towards a license?

True. It's up to you to be honest, and if you cheat and get caught the
consequences are rather severe. Mainly the CG looks for reasonable sea time,
given your situation. Keep that in mind when claiming time.

2) What about 28 hours spent on a distance race? How is this counted?
One
day? Two days?

See Joe's response.

Any tips on what information to collect is appreciated. I have both ASA
and
US Sailing certs, and I think I'm going to use my US Sailing logbook for
the
paper log. But it doesn't have fields for documentation number, etc.

One last thing, I teach small boat sailing on weekends. Should I even
bother to include time spent on a dinghy, or teaching a class from a small
whaler?

YES! You have to have the owner or operator of the school document your time
as previously stated.
It can add up...