posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Ewan Scott

Default What way to edge.

"muzz" wrote in message
Now I'm confused. Doing my two star training we did a lot of edging, both

on
calm water and for getting in and out of different flow rates, you lean

left
you turn left - no problem.
I just watched a Kayaking DVD "Performance Sea Kayaking" in which they
covered edging to turn the boat. They all turned the OPPOSITE way to whci
they edged the boat !
Have I missed something ?

Your responses will probably have confused you somewhat.

Let me try. But I am not a sea kayaker so forgive me if I get it wrong :-)

In a CCK, creek boat, playboat etc, one would normally lift the right knee,
buttock, whatever and edge to turn left with a sweep or rudder stroke. Or to
present the bottom of the boat to the current when ferry gliding river left
to right - facing upstream. (but don't let that confuse you at this stage).

However, in a Sea kayak the edge is the other way around for some reason
that would best be explained by a sea kayaker.

So, if in a creek boat, play boat CCk on flat water or a river, edge (lift a
knee) on the opposite side from your turn. In a sea kayak on the same
side....

Ewan Scott