Tony Thomas

Default OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question?

I would remove the VRO on that old of an engine also. I would suggest an
electric fuel pump instead of the engine vacuum pump. Wire to ignition and
your good to go. No more pumping the bubble. Just make sure you get one
that has a regulator that can be adjusted to 5 psi. Holley makes a good one
that is called the Holley Blue that all the racers use. Cost is $105.88 at
www.summitracing.com

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Mickey" wrote in message
Another deal deal has gone south for me as the local Johnson guru is

swamped
with work and can't look at my new/used motor. I picked up a 1986 100hp
Johnson V4 J100WTCDR I've ordered the books and have some knowledge from
working on an old Mercury 850E that died last years at a tender 31 years
old.

The Johnson guru was adamant about taking out the oil injection and
premixing the fuel oil which isn't a problem for me after doing it so many
years with the old Mercury. I've found what looks like the solution for

the
problem with a OMC fuel pump #8402 which is suggested at
http://outboardparts.com/omc/mall/dynamic-results2.asp is there anything
else that needs to be done to take out the VRO system such as the oil

level
sensor?

As far as I know the carbs need to be rebuilt, replace the fuel pump with

or
without the VRO, change out the thermostats and install a new water pump.
Along with the books I ordered I should be able to pull this off under

$500
with $300 invested in the motor so far.

Thanks
Mick