Default Link to a boating item

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 10 Dec 2005 08:31:34 -0800, wrote:

Fair warning, the article describes a boat that is available for
commercial sale.

Good article Chuck. Although, based on my experiences with World
Cats, I've really got to wonder about the speed and ride. I've also
had the opportunity to take a 26' Sumthin' Runner with twin 150 Yamaha
150 HPDI for a ride once and it was a pig - in particular in a beam
sea. Turned me totally off cats when I was in the market right before
I bought my first Contender.

Hey, maybe they've improved the design or something - I'll admit it's
been a while, but based on my experiences, it wouldn't be something
that I'd buy.

Not trying to start an argument here, just my own observations. I'd
be more than willing to be convinced otherwise. Send me a plane
ticket and I'll come right along to help you test the boat. :)

Later,

Tom

While most of us would tend to lump virtually all catamarans into a
single category and
form certain performance expectations for the category as a whole, I am
learning that the
characteristics of the twin hulls have a lot to do with performance and
handling- just as hull characteristics fairly well deifne what a
monohull will do. Put a couple of flat bottomed
hulls on that same cat, and it will tend to pound, etc. The trade-off,
just like with a monohull with a flat bottom, is that the flatter
bottomed boat will be able to go a bit faster in ideal or maybe even
moderate seas. The ride through the two-footers, typical sea state up
this way unless the weather is *very* snotty, was super smooth.