Bill McKee

Default Best Handheld VHF?

"Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about my driveway leading up to my manor.
wrote in message ...
Kevin,

Most handhelds will transmit power is between the ranges of 1 to 5 watts,
the 1 wattage for short distances and 5 watts longer distances. Most
Fixed mount VHF will transmit using at 25 watts of power, with a setting
for low wattage 1 - 5 watts for short distance broadcasting.

My understand is the Coast Guard will actually broadcast at a much
stronger wattage than 25 watts and will have a tall antenna placed on the
tallest land mass or building available. I have always heard that the low
wattage handhelds will be able to receive the Coast Guard broadcast
without any problems, but the Coast Guard will not be able to receive the
low wattage units for anywhere near the distance of the higher wattage
units.

Kevin, if your theory is correct, why do the fixed mounted units use 25
watts, if the 5 watts are adequate to insure an adequate broadcast than
can be received from the maximum distance of the LOS based upon the
broadcasting and receiving antennas? If the 5 watts will travel just as
far as the 25 watt broadcast? Why doesn't the 1 watt broadcast travel
just as far as the 5 watt broadcast?

I am always willing to learn, so help me understand the theory of low
wattage transmission verses higher wattage transmissions.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lord Reginald Smithers wrote:
Kevin,
With the low wattage output of a handheld you will not be able to come
close
to 30 nm.
even with an external antenna.

See Bill's reply, he's right.

The CG has a higher antenna and better receivers?