posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman

Default Thinning epoxy barrier coat

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:

In the case of the 404/414, the can is labeled in bold print "Epoxy
Barrier-Kote".

In the case of Interlux's Epiglass epoxy, the ad in Boaters World catalog
describes it as a two-part, high build primer suitable as a coating where
gelcoat has been removed. I called Boaters World and they assured me the ad
was written by Interlux. I called Interlux's tech line and they said that
was not an appropriate application and didn't understand why it was
described as such.

Just for the record, Jim, the can is labeled Epoxy Barrier-Kote. And the
catalog describes is as suitable for above or below water applications.
The directions also state that it must be thinned.

-----------------

Interlux 404/414 is not a barrier coat. It's a sandable primer whose
function is to provide a tie coat between sime substrate and an
impervious
finish coat such as an LPU paint. If applied as directed, it's just
loaded
with expensive solvents and is consequently pretty porous. Useless
under
bottom paint. If you are using it as a primer under finish paint and
not
under bottom paint, go for it. I'd try acetone. Let us know your
result.

"R

-----------

A few things worth noting (I'm a marine and industrial epoxy vendor)...

no such thing as expensive solvents (relative to the epoxies) ----

All of our epoxy primers are essentially just solvent thinned epoxy. You
can add about 1 pint of solvent to 1 gal of resin (not including the
curing agent) before you begin to 'damage' the epoxy, but for many
applications no problem with using even a lot more solvent.

no problem with adding solvent to any sort of barrier coat epoxy.
Barrier coat epoxy is generally just industrial epoxy paint (resin plus
pigment plus a thixo agent). Regular marine epoxy will work too but will
probably drip and sag a good bit.

regards

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
----

--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

PAUL OMAN Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Drive
Pittsfield NH 03263
10:30-3:30 Monday-Thur EST 603-435-7199
VISA/MC/Discover/Paypal