posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B

Default Which Bilge Pump?

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:44:29 -0800, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

Lew did you perhaps mean the Rule 2000?

I agree that it's the smallest Rule pump that isn't affected
as badly by 6' of head when pumping (only drops off to
about 1500 GPH)

I believe the Rule 2000 is more than 4 or 5 inches high, which is all
the bilge space claimed by the original post. That's not very much
room to work with in my experience, and will probably require either a
small pump, or a larger pump external to the bilge with a pickup hose.
Pumps with a pickup hose are considerably more expensive because of
the need for valves, self priming capability, etc.

The other issue that I've seen with shallow bilges is the need for a
pump on both sides. Otherwise you can't get water out when the boat
is heeled over.